21 April 2008

on being mormon

It's the end of a busy time at work. To celebrate our survival skills and to reward us for dealing gracefully, my boss planned a little retreat for our department for our inservice yesterday. I say retreat and not "retreat," since it was nothing like those mislabeled "retreats" with contrived get-to-know-you games, endless meetings, crowded sleeping arrangements, and not a single five-minute period in which one could actually, you know, retreat. This day was simple and enjoyable. One of the perks was that my boss hired two masseurs to be available with their comfy little chairs throughout the morning, to give neck and shoulder massages. After laying out the plan for the day, she went to great lengths to make it clear that massages were in no way a mandatory activity. Anyone who wanted to opt out was welcome to do so. Please don't feel like you have to have one. It's fine if you don't want to. On and on and on. She probably spent five minutes of precious retreat time detailing the procedure for how one could confidentially remove his or her name from the list to avoid getting a massage and yet avoid making a scene.

To which we all privately responded in our hearts, "Whaaaah?! Who in her right mind wouldn't...."

But at last we moved on. A half hour later my boss came to my table. She whispered, "So you're okay with... everything?"

I quickly surveyed my situation: while many people I knew were attending a riveting inservice on bullying prevention in a stuffy gym, I was in a plush meeting place, my feet up on a neighboring chair, and I was working my way through a heap of beautiful fresh fruit, while shooting the breeze with people whose company I enjoy. This one was a no-brainer.

"Uh, yeah."

"Okay. I just didn't think... I didn't know if you would be allowed to do the massage thing."

I'm searching her face, first to see if she's serious, then to look for clues. Why is she saying this to me? Because she's confusing me with someone who has chronic neck issues? Because my mom called to say I had to come right home after breakfast? Because my getting a massage would send my husband into a jealous rage?

Oh. Of course.

I'm giggling. "Um, you mean because I'm Mormon?"

She nods. In all seriousness, she nods her head.

"Right. Whew! For a minute there I had forgotten about Mormon Commandment 87b. 'Thou shalt never have thy neck and shoulders massaged by unfamiliar professionally-trained men, lest thou thereby be found unwholesome. But, if thou must have thy neck and shoulders massaged by a strange man, thou shalt do thy best not to enjoy it.'"

Don't you worry. I took the commandment loophole route. I got my silly massage, and did my very best not to enjoy it. I failed at that effort though; even after all the hooplah, it was positively lovely.

15 comments:

jen said...

That, I must say, was a very funny story. I only wish you were here to tell it in person. I miss that. I'm just glad the story has a happy ending and she trying to be considerate of your beliefs, even if she was incredibly misinformed.

jen said...

oh and I'm glad you got a massage too. How fun for you.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!! Maybe the masseuse was a "masseuse" a la Frank from "Friends" (read:prostitute).

Holly said...

I have to say I would totally opt out of the whole massage thing. The idea of some strange person feeling my fat rolls up and down. Eeeww, I shudder at the thought...

But, I'm glad you enjoyed it :-)

Crystal said...

Haha! Don't you just love Mormon Misconceptions? They're almost as good as uncomfortable gospel doctrine classes.

Tara said...

Funny story. Next time try a little harder not to enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

That is pretty hilarious. You handled it well. Thank goodness for the Mormon Commandment 87b loophole. If not for that you would have been put in a completely awkward situation. haha.

Amber said...

Too awesome! Seriously I just love your stories! And I'm super glad that you did get your massage. Too funny!

lex said...

Jen: I miss that too. Are you really moving? Did I miss something?

Holly: you do not have any fat rolls. I scoff at the thought.

Ali: you can finally comment now that you've been "outed" by matt! yay! it's fun to see you on here.

lex said...

Also: the word "massage" is starting to look really funny.

Karrissa Winward said...

That really is hilarious! I am glad us mormons aren't against massages!

Melissa said...

I just read this outloud to my mom-in-law and sis-in-law and we were all lol-ing. your stories always make me happy. you never responded to my shay-look-alike dream: did I offend you? do you feel threatened? can we pretend I never said it? do you want to stop being friends with me? what if I promise I'll never do it again?
:) :) :)

Tamarynn Leigh said...

I'm glad you remembered Commandment 87b. That's a hard one to keep sometimes! That is too funny, but it is kind of nice that your boss was trying to be considerate...albeit misunderstood consideration. Massages are the best. Glad you could enjoy one and have a fun retreat!

Robin said...

That is hilarious. I love your response.

Natalie said...

That's hilarious! I love those "mormon misconception" stories! I could go on and on about some of the comments I've gotten about the LDS religion just here in AZ. Here's one of my favorites:
*Don't you believe the more kids you have, the higher your rank in heaven? (I was trying to get pregnant at the time - with no success- and I simply responded "So because I can't get pregnant you think I'm going to hell?"...c'mon, common sense people!)