06 May 2008

we need to talk

Dear Blog,

Let me preface this by saying: it's not you. It's me.

I haven't been as interested in you lately. I used to think about you almost every day, but these days life rolls on for a week or more without you even crossing my mind. When something funny or interesting or exciting happens, I don't always think to share it with you. You're a patient listener, and I know you think I am fabulous and witty. But the truth is that I don't always want to be fabulous and witty. Sometimes I just want a place to say whatever comes to mind, and not worry about whether it comes out in complete sentences or whether it might be of interest to anyone else. So, I still resort to the good old fashioned journal once in awhile. I hope you're not jealous.

Don't worry, it's not like I'm going around checking out other people's blogs, while ignoring you. I'm not. I've actually become a little disenchanted with your type in general. In a lot of ways you are all the same - attractive and fun, but too high-maintenance at times. You put up a front of being the ultimate great communicator (and you do have some good things going for you there), but there are times when you suck hours and energy from my life that would be better spent communicating in other ways with actual humans.

I'm not about to call it quits. You have been good for me in a lot of ways. But if it's going to work out between us, we are going to have to work through some of these issues together. Just be patient with me, okay?

lex

9 comments:

Crystal said...

Well said! I think the honeymoon is over for me too. We just got our internet hooked up today so I haven't really had access to the internet for over a week and I thought I'd miss blogs more than I did. Surprisingly, I missed them very little. And got tons done in the meantime :)

Lisa Johnson said...

I think your blog and my blog may start a support group for neglected blogs. Sometimes I just don't have anything to say that everyone wants to hear. Other times, danged if you do, danged if you don't. Oh well!

Heidi said...

i'm a facebook stalker and i found your blog... so now i'ma be a blog stalker too :) it's because i like you.

Amber said...

So- I've been thinking about this whole blog thing too for a while now, but sadly, I feel that it's the only way to feel connected to those I miss and love. But then- I read your "actual humans" comment and I think I need that more than anything else. And esp. acutal adult humans!
You've given me a lot to think about....

Loni said...

Well, I hope you don't quit too much, because I actually enjoy reading your posts. But, I do understand having "other loves".

TPlayer said...

Wow..this made me laugh for so many reasons

Anonymous said...

Lexbutt, you could not have heard me say I liked "A Walk in the Woods." I liked it at first and then suffered through it. What a lame dude.
Anyway, how come I am not invited to read your "just lex" blog? HUH?

Tara said...

Funny letter. I understand though, blogging can take up a lot of time. Just make sure you check in occassionally though, please. This is the only way that I hear what you are up to.

Melissa said...

I hear you, woman. I started my blog as a way to avoid having to send gavin pics via snail mail to grandparents, but since so many family and friends have followed suit, blog checking (not to forget posting!) sucks way too much of my time/energy that could be well-spent elsewhere. my blog has been neglected recently due to my pregnancy yuckiness, school, and an increased volume in visitors who are the usual gavin updates aim. I gotta say, it's been a pretty nice break. maybe I'll catch a second wind soon.