30 May 2008

summer of saturdays

I have a great job working for the public school system in a nearby city. Give me a pen and a legal pad (because who doesn't love those cheerful yellow legal pads?) and I can make a nice list of things about my job that make me happy. But I'm probably not the only person who has ever felt, at the end of a year in the public schools, like summer break was the greatest perk of all.

Oh, summer vacation. How we love you.

Only, now that you are here, what on earth am I going to do with you? It feels like I just had five Saturdays in a row. The first few were pretty awesome. Several times a day I would think things like, Wow, I'm going running at noon on a weekday! Wow, am I still reading in bed? or, Wow, I'm watching daytime TV! By the fifth day... fewer wows. More hmmms. I can't deny that I've loved the indulgences, but I'm almost exhausted from filling all that time with my own creativity.

Today I decided to whittle away some time giving the blog a makeover. What? You can't tell? That's probably because I tried about 20 different combinations of layouts, color schemes, headers, etc., and in the end I published something that looks virtually the same as the old blog, with a few barely-detectable changes. Let's just say I'm not the kind of girl who moves her furniture around every couple of months just for fun.

Here's to a summer full of Saturdays! Any ideas about how to fill them?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. Come hang out with me. I have had a month of Saturdays. Have fun! Also, Netflix has saved my life.

TPlayer said...

DDR

Melissa said...

learn to knit.
learn to speak mandarin chinese.
mow your lawn with scissors.
come see me!

Crystal said...

Make your life list & start knocking things off. And learn to knit...it's fabulous.

Min and Mary said...

Have a kid. Oh, how jealous I am of your freetime!

Holly said...

Whenever you get bored on your free days, think of me having to go to bed at 8:30 on a beautiful summer night, and having to get up at 5:30. Then you'll really enjoy your time :-)

Lisa Johnson said...

I noticed the changes on your blog immediately! I think you did a good job! Not everyone is made to rearrange their furniture and blog every few weeks like me! I had a few months of Saturdays last summer, I wish I could go back to that time. I agree with the list idea, there are so many things on my list I could have gotten done, but I didn't!

Melissa Scott said...

Maybe you could record yourself singing or just talking for that matter!! and then you can it to me for a good laugh:) good luck with such a dilemma! I just read your post above and it sounds like you found some ways to fill your time.

morgan and tina said...

I am so glad someone else is in my situation. My job is early morning because it's too blasted hot here in st. george to teach tennis. thanks for basically saying what i could never say..minus the tv part, we still don't have cable! :] coming this way anytime soon?

jen said...

florida
florida
florida