24 June 2008

the slovenian life: your burning questions answered

Q: How is Slovakia?
A: I will surely let you know how it is, if I ever go there.

Q: You're in Slovenia? Why the... ?!
A: It's because of Shay. He became interested in the coutries that formerly made up Yugoslavia when he was a missionary in Croatia. Now he's working on a PhD in history and focusing on eastern Europe. He studies languages in order to do research from original sources in the coutries he's interested in. So, he's here doing language studies.

Q: What language do they speak there?
A: They speak Slovene. It's a Slavic language and it shares some basic features with Croatian. When Shay speaks Slovene it sounds quite nice. But he has some work to do if he wants to sound like a local. When Slovenes speak to each other on the street or in the grocery store or at school, it generally sounds like this to me:
"You idiot! I am so angry at you!"
"Well, good! I did it just to make you angry!"
"You would! I can't stand you!"
"I hope I never see you again!"
They are likely to be chatting about last night's soccer game or congratulating a friend on her recent marriage, but often the tone doesn't seem to match the message. It cracks me up.

Q: How long will you be there?
A: I'm here for three weeks total. Shay will stay for a few additional weeks after that. We were apart for five days once and it was uncomfortable. So, that should be interesting. That's a post for another day.

Q: Will Shay get to visit some of his mission areas?
A: Not really. He'll spend a few days at an archive in Croatia and might see some friends in Zagreb, the capital. Last year we visited some of his mission areas and other places on the beautiful Adriatic coast, during last summer's Croatian vacation. You too should visit the Croatian coast before you kick the bucket. You won't be sorry.

Q: Speaking of Lonely Planet guidebooks, do you remember watching Lonely Planet episodes in 9th grade geography?
A: Melis, I totally remember those days in Mr. Scholzen's class. Shay does too. In fact (as I reveal the true extent of our nerdiness) we still check out episodes of Lonely Planet from the library sometimes. Vicarious traveling is awesome.

And now, if you don't mind, I have a few questions of my own:

How many days can I wear the same pair of pants before washing them?

Is it okay to eat burek all the time (a decidedly not-figure-friendly cheese-filled pastry) if I'm willing to walk 2.5 km to my favorite burek stand?

Why do all the women my age here look like Slavic Barbie? Are they just genetically blessed? Because they eat burek all the time too.

Why do I get a receipt when I pay my 17 cents to use a public restroom? I bet it costs 10 cents to print the thing. That doesn't seem very efficient, now, does it?

Since when is the MULLET experiencing dramatic popularity? I am sorry to report that duirng this trip, variations of the classic 'do have been spotted frequently on "hip" young sirs in Zurich, in Vienna, and all over Slovenia.

13 comments:

Karrissa Winward said...

What a cool adventure!!

Heidi said...

So fun! Your questions/answers were enteretaining, as always. And, I am sorry to tell you, I kind of like the MULLET on young children. A few of my students sported the 'do and it was so cute. (Then again, maybe I just liked the young children...) Anyway, can't wait to see pics of your adventures!

Danny said...

I too share your concern about the recent surge in mullets. Unfortunately, soccer super-star Christiano Ronaldo frequently elects to sport one, and I think such a state of affairs can only exacerbate the problem. He needs to learn that certain responsibilities come with mega-stardom, one of which is the duty not to promote the mullet.

jen said...

I wish I were there with you wandering the streets and paying 17 cents to use the toilet.

I love how you manage to put it all in words so nicely. I'd just slap some pictures up to cover for my lack of words.

Holly said...

Ha ha - Slavic barbie. I love it.

That stinks that you have to pay to use a disgusting, germy bathroom. If I was to pay for toilet use, it better be a VERY nice toilet!

Mullets - GROSS!

Min and Mary said...

I agree with Jen, but still, you really ought to post more pictures of your trip. And not just of the scenery--we want to see the Woods too. Mr. Scholzen, ah, what memories. BTW, your description of Slovene is how I hear Korean. Why do Min's parents always fight, I wonder? Makes me a bit tense even if it's a friendly conversation. Anyway, pictures, pictures!

Lisa Johnson said...

I want to answer your question about the pants but I've decided not to since it may cause people to think twice about my hygeine habits. Let's just say I wouldn't go longer than a week, but if you don't spill and are a generally clean person, you could make them last more that 4 days.

Anyway, it was way fun to ready your answers to all the burning questions. I can't wait to hear more about your fun adventure!

shawfamily said...

Sounds like you're definitely getting experiences you'll remember forever. I'm so jealous. You guys have so much fun and soak it all in for the rest of us.. have a good day

Spitfire said...

Any possibility of you taking a secret picture of one of those mullets and posting it? That would be kind of awesome, I think. Also, Speaking of weird hair, there's a group of "emo's" in my ward, and they don't even have mullets so much anymore as mullet-rattail-fohowks. I don't even know what you would call it. It's strange to me, and incredibly distracting. I sit behind these guys in sacrament meeting just trying not to pull the mini scissors out of my purse and start chopping away. Does anybody else see this, or is just weird 25 year old people in my town who are apparently suffering identity crises because they are still in a singles ward?

*Disclaimer to all emo's: I like you just fine, I just don't understand the get-up. Probably because I'm getting old and work with a bunch of married people over the age of 30. If you have any enlightening information to share with me on the subject, please feel free.

lex said...

Friends: I love all your comments. I'm glad some of you share my concerns about a certain universally unattractive hairstyle. Leese: thanks for confirming my suspicions that laundering clothes is overrated. Picture requesters: I'll see what I can do. Heidi: I shake my head in your general direction. Meg: the most common mullet look here is a lot like the one you described - faux-hawk + rat-tail. Sad.

jen said...

Your mom and sisters are coming to stay with you? Call me!!!

Jenn said...

Ok, I have to say I laughed through reading this entire thing, you are hillarious! Its Jenn (Hanson) in case you were wondering, I'm just doing a little blog hopping and thought I'd check in on you.

Melissa Scott said...

you crack me up for sure.... I'm with Leese, you can easily make it 4 days if not more. And, that cheese filled pastry sounds delightful for sure. Can you ship them?