17 June 2008

planes and trains and automobiles

We spent a day and a night in Vienna, and then took a train to Ljubljana. My gosh, I love trains. I sat with my nose practically pressed against the windows, oohing and aahing at the greenness against jagged mountains, the old walled cities, the idyllic villages in gorgeous valleys, the castles tucked away in the hills. Most of the locals were reading the newspaper, thinking, "Ho hum, just another ride through the Austrian countryside.˝ Well it all feels new to me. And I like it.

It was raining when we got to the station in Ljubljana. It rained the next day as well - cold, constant rain. When I woke up to the sound of rain the next day, I cursed Ljubljana and all its inhabitants, and especially its weather predictors for being right. But the sun came out that afternoon, and I got to wander around the city with my camera and without a coat or an umbrella, and I forgave quickly - because how could someone stay mad at a city this lovely?

This is where I intended to post pictures, but the world is conspiring to make that impossible for me today. So take my word for it - this place is exceptionallz lovely. And I'll post visual proof the next time I get the chance.

Thanks for all the well wishes! It seems they have come true.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Lex! I'm extremely jealous that you're having this adventure! Sounds fun. :)

Loni said...

Sound like an awesome experience. I'm glad you guys are doing things like this, because once the kids come along, you don't have as much freedom. Enjoy Europe

Loni said...

Sound like an awesome experience. I'm glad you guys are doing things like this, because once the kids come along, you don't have as much freedom. Enjoy Europe

Crystal said...

Nothing beats a train ride thru Europe, huh. I was watching the Colbert Report the other day and they did a story on Slovenia & I thought of you!

Shane & Danica said...

Lex I am so jealous!!! I hope you continue to have a great trip, and I love hearing about.

Tara said...

Sounds like fun. HOw long are you gone for?

melis w-y said...

feeling the jealous vibe enough yet? no? well then I'm JEALOUS!!! happy trails! can't wait to see pics.