28 February 2008

good news

Word on the street is that the days of the Relief Society "Good News Minute" are coming to an end, by direction of the General Relief Society Board. We don't have such a Minute in our ward here, so I had almost forgotten about it, but they have certainly done this in every other ward where I've lived in the last several years. If you're unfamiliar with the Minute, it occurs at the beginning of the weekly Relief Society meeting in many wards. The person conducting will make the week's announcements and then say something like, "Now we'll have our Good News Minute. Does anyone have good news to share?"

Of course it was meant to build camaradarie and sisterhood in the R.S. On many Sundays I thought it was a nice way to allow people in the ward to uplift and support each other. But I admit that I sometimes found myself shaking my head through the whole Minute. In my Young Single People wards it could easily become the "I'm Engaged!" Minute. In my Young Married People wards it was often the "I'm Pregnant!" Minute. In Family Wards it served as a prime opportunity for people to brag to their neighbors about their above-average children. And scattered throughout were moments of pure awkwardness, wherein a dear sister would say something like this: "I think Suzy has some good news, but I don't know if she'll volunteer to tell us!" (Meanwhile Suzy's face turns bright purple as everyone turns to look at her and begins to speculate about what her good news could possibly be. The awkward factor increases significantly as people realize Suzy has no desire to share her Good News with a large group of people.) Also unavoidable were the Fill Up Time If Nobody Has Any Real News comments, such as "I got a great deal on bell peppers at Smith's yesterday!"

Well, if it is indeed true that the Minute is no more (which I haven't confirmed - this is based solely on gossip), then I say, good-bye, Good News Minute. You had your high points. But in the end, I imagine we'll be better off just getting on with the lesson.

8 comments:

Lisa Johnson said...

I've never experienced a "Good News Minute" but I have to say, that I can imagine that it would (and I guess has been) something I can live without!

Holly said...

So true! I have never liked the good news minute. I suppose I would have liked it if it was just a "minute." My ward now doesn't do it and I love it!

Crystal said...

These last two posts are hilarious! I must say though, the GNM is great if you're the one GIVING the lesson & don't like people looking at you for 40 minutes :)

Melissa Scott said...

I have to admit although I have never personally experienced the good news minute in Relief Society, I am sad to see it go.. Thanks to you good news minute.... But, i do have a good news minute in my primary class every week. I usually get comments like, "I played with my dog..." "Did you know I like cookies." (I teach the 5 year olds). I think they love the GNM, because they all scream at once and very rarely wait until someone is finished to start their own story..

Loni said...

I've been in YW too long to really experience the GNM, but I do have to agree. Then again awkward moments do have their joys.

Tamarynn Leigh said...

I love reading your blog! I laughed and laughed at the tribute to "Mr. Piano Tuner". I've been in YW or Primary for the last 5 1/2 years so I can't say that I've experienced the GNM, but I can see both the pros and cons of it. I guess we'll just have to see...

Kim said...

Oh my gosh I thought this was just something that hick towns like Escalante and Panguitch did! Those are the only two wards I've been in where they did it and it was exactly as you described! I always thought it was so awkward and strange. Alexis you are truly the wittiest person I know.

jen said...

I love the good new minute. But I love everything that forces people to pay attention to me.