16 February 2008

on the saturday schedule

On Saturday mornings I have a standing appointment with a real breakfast and the newspaper, two little luxuries I don't always have time for during the week. I leave so early on weekdays that my breakfast preparations often consist of pouring dry cereal into a ziplock (go Quaker Oat Squares!) so that I can snack later in the morning. And on busy days sometimes the newspaper goes straight to the recycle bin without anyone glancing beyond the front page. Saturday is different. On Saturday Shay and I usually get to make and eat a real, yummy breakfast together. It is one of the best times of my week. Then after breakfast I can sit in the living room and enjoy the New York Times or the local Journal-World, or both, if I feel ike it. I know you can read almost any newspaper online these days - and for free even! That's great news. But it is well worth the cash to me to enjoy spreading the actual, tangible newsprint on the floor, and make little piles of "read" and "unread" and "don't care to read" sections, until the living room looks like the aftermath of a tornado. My day is off to a good start. Hope yours is as well. Happy Saturday!

4 comments:

Amber said...

I love those little luxuries that most people don't notice, but we all have them and they are so nice and needed. I'm glad that you guys had a good day! Take Care.

Lisa Johnson said...

What a great way to spend the morning together! Definitely a tradition to keep for as long as possible!

Holly said...

Do you still do crosswords everyday? I hope you're not neglecting that activity during the week :-)

Crystal said...

I miss lazy mornings! Not that we really are rushed or anything...I just have to make breakfast for a toddler now :) But your Newspaper Mornings sound delightful.