08 February 2008

small talk

I do not like small talk. Maybe I am just socially inept, but I'm not always sure how to respond when people try to fill silence by talking about mindless things neither of us cares about or, worse, by asking me questions that they do not really need/want an answer for. A scene from today:

Me (to co-worker): If you can stick around for a minute, I'll print a copy of this for you.

Co-worker: Okay, thanks.

[3 seconds of silence while I sit at computer and open document]

CW: So! Uh... [clears throat]

CW: [looks around and spies picture of me with husband, on wedding day, in wedding attire] [points to man in picture]

CW: Is this your husband?

Me: Um... [turning to see what she's pointing at] nope. It's not.

8 comments:

Lisa Johnson said...

Honestly! Who else would it be!?

I have to say that I do not like small talk either, but unfortunately my job requires that I make small talk all day everyday with customers. Maybe that's why I hate it and stay as far away from it as possible when not at the bank.

Anonymous said...

I am absolutely 100% with you on this one but I think I hate small talk because people (in general) bug me.

Tara said...

You're funny. I don't like small talk either. Did you really tell her/him no? What did she/he say?

Heidi said...

oh my heck! you crack me up, my friend. We need to chat more often. I thought of you twice over today (possibly more than that, but two times in a particular :) ) when one of the answers to the crossword was "unfortunate." You're great!

Robin said...

Small talk is so annoying. When I don't care about someone/something, I will not ask. Maybe it makes me come off as a snob, but I don't like it when people ask me stuff just to make conversation, when I can tell they really don't care to know.
I like your response to your coworker's question!

Loni said...

don't be too hard, I know lots of people who get dressed up in wedding attire and poses in pictures with random strangers.

Tamarynn Leigh said...

Hi...it's Tamarynn again. Sorry I keep popping into your blog. I access it via Natalie's. Anyway...just in case you are interested, I have a blog also, but it is private so if you want to check it out, send me an email tamarynn@yahoo.com. It would be fun to keep in touch with good ole Hurricane folk!!! Good job with the snowman...it looks like you guys had fun!

morgan and tina said...

absolutely love it. ha!