13 December 2007

taste of success

Happy Lucia Day! They are not perfect, but this year's lussekatter look and taste much better than last year's disaster. They are saffron-yellow and soft in the middle and toasty on top, and just looking at them makes me happy.

We also made pepparkakor, thin and crispy gingerbread cookies with a hint of orange flavor... mmmm! After the Lucia buns I wasn't up for converting another recipe from metric units, so I looked for already-Americanized pepparkakor recipes online. One recipe said (this is a direct quote) "roll out the dough to 1/8 inch. Cut into any traditional holiday shape - stars, pigs, hearts, etc." That "pigs" bit was slipped in there so nonchalantly that it took a minute to regiser. Whaaaaa? I laughed, but only until I read the next three recipes and was repeatedly encouraged to bake cookies in "traditional" shapes such as pigs. Swedes, are you reading this? What is that about?!

As you may have guessed, I did not find an abundance of pig-shaped cookie cuters at my local grocery store. So, Shay and I had to improvise. What do you think?

4 comments:

Tara said...

You're funny! I love the pig. Way cute!!!

Lisa Johnson said...

I love it! Your pig made me laugh out loud at work. You do that to me often! Way to be creative guys!

Danika said...

Hey, it's Danika Humphreys! I found your blog through Catlin's. I forgot that you went to Sweden. I made orange rolls and gingerbread cookies the other day too! My family has always done that (my grandpa's swedish). Dan loves the pepperkakor (spelling?), I've never made an actual recipe, we've always just bought them. I liked your pics of the ice storm, that's just what it looks like here in Missouri!

Natalie said...

Okay, the pig was way random...your improv was great. I really like the idea of that custom to bring in the Christmas season. It's cool that you are incorporating it into your own family.