12 December 2007

so this is an ice storm




The ice storm came but it did not hit Lawrence nearly as hard as it hit other parts of Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma. The weather is being blamed for 23 deaths yesterday in those states - mostly car accidents, I think. Here in our neighborhood we had some cool-looking trees, but the roads were not bad and we never lost power. Like Melis suggested, we went shopping once things calmed down, and we fought no crowds and waited in no lines. We also enjoyed some exploring in the neighborhood (sidewalks were far more treacherous than roads, by the way) and some cozy time at home, watching movies, reading books, and playing games with neighbors.

The storm hit the city where I work mercilessly, though, and school is cancelled for the second day in a row because of power outages and road conditions. I'm glad I don't have to commute in winter weather and I'm not going to complain about another day off in the middle of the week, but I am concerned for the kids in my schools and their families. Their lives are complicated enough without these added complications.

Oh yeah, and about those Dove chocolates... they are gone.

5 comments:

Lisa Johnson said...

For someone who had never seen an ice storm, it looks really miserable. Not that I'm all that keen on snow even. I'm glad you had power, a great person to stay home with, and enough Dove's to get you through the storm!

Robin said...

Wow, that is scary and a little exciting. I would like to see it up close.

Holly said...

I know it may be treacherous and all, but it looks so beautiful! I wish I could see it (but not drive in it, of course!)

lex said...

Holly, you should have seen it today when the sun finally came out. Everything looks shimmery and amazing. Except, watch out for falling ice!

Loni said...

Don't ice storms make everything look beautiful? You're lucky you didn't loose power. Two Christmas's ago we had an ice storm in Ohio, and went 3 days without electricity, running water, and heat. Kinda reminds you of God's power.