12 December 2007

lovin' lucia

adorable graphics from Graphic Garden

I fell in love with Luciadagen when I was an exchange student in Sweden. It comes on December 13th and is the holiday that marks the beginning of the Christmas season for Swedes. (Short bits about it here or here.) It is basically a celebration of Santa Lucia as a "bringer of light" character. When I ask Swedes what Lucia's story is and how an Italian saint came to be so loved and celebrated in Sweden, I get several different versions of the tale. But I suppose the main idea is that during the middle ages, she is said to have carried food to the poor in dark places, wearing a wreath of candles on her head. Later she became a symbol of light to the people in the northern countries during the dark winters.

On the 13th, you'll see Lucia processions all over Sweden. People dress in traditional Lucia garb - you can see examples in the drawing above - and... well, they proceed, as processions are known to do. Kids often do this at home, delivering pastries and coffee to their parents early in the morning. Other processions are done in schools or churches. Some go into hospitals or care centers and take treats to sick and lonely people. There is a set of traditional songs that are sung as the procession moves along as well. I'm getting nostalgic just thinking about it!

The pastries that are traditionally delivered are lussekatter, saffron buns baked in special little shapes. I make them every year but I never seem to get them quite right. In Sweden we used fresh cakes of yeast, instead of the dry stuff, and that has been my main hang-up. Last year something went terribly wrong in the yeast department. When I mentioned making lussekatter this week, Shay said lovingly, "I think you should leave out the concrete mix this year." Ha. Ha.

Here's looking forward to a great Lucia Day and improved baking skills! Hope you find good things to bring light to your dark winter day.


3 comments:

Lisa Johnson said...

Yay for any reason to celebrate something in December! December holidays seem to be the funnest, maybe just because my birthday happens to fall in December! I hope your pastries turn out this year! I know what it's like to never get a receipe just right.

Holly said...

Sounds like a fun holiday. How come we never celebrated it in Logan? I never knew I was missing such a great day!

Crystal said...

Oh! Sweden! I want to go.