09 September 2008

untapped talent

I have only played tennis a handful of times in my life. My earliest game of tennis involved only me and took place in my back yard. On the lawn. With a badminton racquet. It happened this way partly because there was not a proper tennis racquet to be found at my house growing up, but mostly because, let's be honest, I wouldn't have known the difference if I had found one.

Yet somehow I always felt, always knew, that given the proper equipment and some quality instruction, playing tennis could be my life's calling.

Yesterday was page 1 of a humorous story called Lex Takes Group Tennis Lessons. Note to self: start looking for new calling.

In the meantime, the class is hilariously fun, in an odd sort of way. But when it's over, I should probably look into badminton as my possible purpose in life. Or perhaps something that does not require me to swing a racquet of any kind.

Done anything mildly embarrassing to bust out of your comfort zone lately? I'd love to hear about it.

8 comments:

jen said...

Please send video.

Amber said...

Sounds like you had fun though, even if it's not your calling in life!!

TPlayer said...

Are you doing it through Lawrence parks & Rec? I totally wanted to sign up for one of those classes, but I thought I would aggravate everyone in the class due to my lack of skills and part of me felt guilty it was on FHE night, knowing I should be social. How lame am I!! I should have followed my gut and joined you

Annie and Heidi said...

It's about time you posted yo! I completely agree about tennis. I have often thought it would be a really fun sport to become good at - and have even practiced with family members (inasmuch as they are tied to me for eternity, whether or not I stink at tennis). But, I am too embarrassed to go out and practice in a public area. There is a court in the middle of my apt complex, but like I said, I really don't want to be the comic relief for people after work, so I have kept my racquet in its comfortable hiding place in my closet... Good luck to you! :)

Tamarynn Leigh said...

Way to go! I agree that you need to show the video!!

Min and Mary said...

Keep stepping out of your comfort zone--it makes for excellent stories. Ever tried ice fishing? I'm considering it myself but the story might end on page one like your tennis calling.

morgan and tina said...

yay i'm so glad you're doing lessons! stick with it and just keep having fun and you will LOVE it

Melissa said...

no! definitely not time to start looking for a new calling! stick with it, girl. as for me, I feel like I'm always out of my comfort zone these days--I'm definitely feeling very pregnant. :)