19 September 2008

30 days has september

September has been the Jekyll and Hyde of months. The first couple of weeks were gloomy. Constantly cloudy. It rained non-stop for a solid week, and last Friday we capped off the fun times by hunkering down in the basement during a tornado warning. I'm more of a desert creature, you see, and I thought I just might go insane if I had to go another day without seeing the sun.

Then, just as I was about to start a campaign for the removal of an entire month from the calendar, September revealed itself as, oh, basically the most perfect time of year imaginable. This last week the weather has been spectacular and the days have been full of so many good things. Kansas sunflowers. Khaki and brown. Pumpkin-flavored things. Fall sports. Bike rides. Apples. Outdoor shopping. Hay. I dislike hay immensely because it makes me sneeze, but it looks so pretty all golden and rolled up like that. I like driving with the windows down at night - it feels fabulous. I like listening to acoustic singer-songwriter-type music, and thinking it's the perfect soundtrack for September in the midwest.

September can stay for awhile longer, don't you think?

4 comments:

Andrea said...

September and October are probably my most favorite Kansas months. So perfect with the fall colors. I do like how you complained about seeing no sun...I am sad to say that I think that's how life will be here for now on. The weather man reported that it looked like fall because it was a gloomy day. Hooray! I will just have to live vicariously through you. : )

jen said...

Yes, because I made this whole list of things to do in September and then proceeded to watch hours and hours of television with my husband.

Anonymous said...

I agree. It's pretty much perfect. Although I am partial to the cold winter months as well, so I'm happy either way.

Heidi said...

I am pretty much the biggest fan of fall months EVER! so September keep on coming! (except it means I am still in the first weeks of school, which means I am still figuring out how to communicate with 21 non-English speakers, which means I spend most of my day in absurd body language that means something - I hope - to those ELL kids I was talking about, hmm...Hopefully future months bring more actual speaking with the mouth and less speaking with a lot of body movement...) Love your blog!