11 January 2008

raindrops on roses

I've been saving Holly's "favorite things" tag for a rainy day. Today it probably won't rain. But it rained yesterday. Plus, I feel like blogging but have nothing to write about. Here are eight of my favorite things, in no particular order:

1: public libraries. I love them. Have loved them for a very long time. At our current public library I probably check out a good 20 items in a month, everything from CDs to magazines to software to DVDs. Also sometimes books. I love finding things I had no idea I was looking for.

2. fluffy pillows. Mmmmm.

3: crockpots. Magical! Throw stuff in pot. Plug in. Leave house for several hours. Come home at night and eat a real meal the minute you walk in the door. I commend whoever was behind this invention.

4: calla lilies. I've mentioned my affection for them before on this blog, I just realized. But the shape of a calla is just crazy beautiful. It can't be a crime to mention it twice.

5: pepper jack cheese. I dare you to find anything that tastes better on a cracker. You will fail.

6: travel. There is rarely anything I would rather do with my money than use it to get somewhere that I've never been before.

7: ballet flats. I grew up in a relatively warm climate and mostly wore flip-flops every day of my life. Now that I am not afforded the luxury of 65-degree Januarys (that word looks so wrong), ballet flats are the new flip-flops for me. Easy. Casual. Cheap. Available in an astounding variety. I can avoid re-learning how to tie a shoe. Perfect.

8: blogs. Who knew they were so much fun? I am constantly glad that I finally hopped on the train. I can't think of a better way to keep up on the big and small happenings in friends' lives now that we don't live as close to "home", and it's fun to keep friends and family updated on our news or lack thereof. Given some time I can also squander an hour or two reading random blogs about photography, design, politics, and everyday life, written by perfect strangers.

4 comments:

Lisa Johnson said...

Loved hearing about your favorite things! Question though, what kind of software do you check out from the library??

Holly said...

I agree about the ballet flats. So cute yet so practical...

Holly said...

PS. Thank you for doing the tag. No one else has done it and I felt so unread and powerless :-)

Crystal said...

Yes, yes, yes. Ballet flats rock.