17 January 2008

my new favorite team: the flying whatevers

Forget about the undefeated KU basketball team. The real action this season is sure to be found at Holcom Sports Complex, where Shay's city league basketball team had its debut this week. There are some pretty bad team names on the roster (Dynamite Chickens? Not Applicable? Cutthroat Connection?) but Shay's team is probably worst of all. They are to be known as the Flying Mazzagattis. or Mazarattis. or Manicottis. or something. (Honestly, boys lack creativity in the worst way.) I can only assume the name has to do with professional wrestling, judging by who organized the team. Does anyone know? Both Shay and I are at a loss. Shay is mostly just happy to be playing organized basketball again, and I like spectating.

The Flying M-words pulled off a win this week and I was, of course, so proud. As much as I wanted to snap a quick picture of everyone looking precious and matchy in their t-shirts, I didn't want to come off looking like Shay's mommy or anything. So, I refrained. But stay tuned - I'll get that picture yet. Someone has to document for posterity that once, Shay played basketball for the illustrious Flying Mazzagattis.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

love picturing shay back in his "element." and love picturing you as the adorable team mom! you take those pictures! I coach our ward's yw basketball team, and they do this obnoxious yelling while jumping in a circle thing....I guess it's pretty common for teams to act silly or pick funky mascots! go flying mazzagattis!

Loni said...

What a fun experience for you both! I love playing city league - Todd & I did a co-ed soccer team last spring, and we were called the "Sevens" - ya, no clue, there were more than seven players - but oh, well.

Holly said...

Yeah for Shay getting to play basketball! I expect a picture before the season is over!