21 January 2008

good beginnings and great people

I had a tiny moment of panic when the sun woke me up this morning. Did my alarm fail me today? If the sun is already up, why am I not up? Then, I had one of those blissful moments, where I realize it's a holiday, and I have absolutely no plans, and I can sleep as long as I please and then stay in bed reading until noon if I feel like it. I fell back asleep in a matter of seconds, and I'm sure I fell asleep smiling. That is a very good way to start a day.

Today is a nice holiday, for reasons besides the obvious perk of extra sleep . I watched a video clip this morning from the 1963 civil rights march on Washington, and I felt proud of all the people across time who have had the courage to stand up against the status quo when they knew it was wrong. Today makes me grateful for people who do things, as opposed to people like me who generally just grumble or feel sad about what is not right with the world. I'm trying to be better. The world is lucky that lots of people already are better.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Aaah, those extra days to sleep in - how lovely!

And, you're so good to actually celebrate what the holiday is about. I'll try to do that next time...

Melissa said...

ahhh, the days when I used to use an alarm clock....savor those sleep-in days while you still can! :)
ditto to people who do things!

Tara said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed the holiday. I agree with the whole sleeping in thing. Ayla won't let me sleep in anymore.