29 November 2007

attention parents: do not try this at home

I have no real credentials to justify this offering of parental advice. I'm not a parent. But, I do spend a good chunk of my week observing the results of other people's parenting. Also I deal with a lot of paperwork. And I have this to say about naming children: when you give your child a name, be kind. Do not make it unpronouncable. (T'Qhajani? Not okay.) Do not use multiple apostrophes in one first name. Do not give two siblings the exact same name, especially when it is the same name their father has. Spelling each child's name differently (Mychia and Mikah? Seriously?) does not make this practice less obnoxious. And finally, please, please don't get sucked into the idea that it is cute or clever to base all your children's names on the same one name. Having an Andre and a D'Andre will only complicate your life. Having a Cedric, a De'Cedric, and a TreCedrica will only give your children a reason to blame you for all their problems one day.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Wow! That's crazy. They should call Chase--he'd have TONS of ideas for names :-)