25 November 2007

look, we're crafty!

I generally avoid shopping on "black Friday," but this year I spent the afternoon strolling shamelessly around Michael's, purchasing items often associated with craftiness - hot glue gun. acrylic paints. floral wire. ribbon. Who am I, you ask, and what have I done with the craft-averse person who used to live here? Not sure. I guess Christmas is a special occasion.

Every holiday season Shay and I talk about switching out our usual Christmas tree ornaments and doing something new. We've wanted to incorporate some of the little trinkets and knick-knacks we've collected as we've traveled to different places, and do sort of a Christmas-around-the-world tree. This year we actually took the time to put it together. It was all kinds of fun.

If you're having trouble sorting out the randomness that is our tree (can't imagine...), here's a breakdown.

The bulky paper mache-looking bulbs are covered with antique maps. This was a great idea in my head but they were a bit interesting to actually make. You can thank Shay for ones that look really good.
The little hanging oreos are adorned with different flags. Thank you Italy, Portugal, and Mexico for having Christmas-colored flags. That really helps. And sorry, other countries, that I don't always know the right orientation for your flags once I've cut them out. We probably made a few mistakes.

The poinsettias are just there because we like them. They add color and flair, I think.


and everything else on the tree basically falls into two categories - (1) little things with sentimental value that we brought home from places we love

and (2) things that looked cool and were cheap at World Market.


Still a work in progress - it lacks a tree-topper and a proper tree skirt. (Any ideas for the top?) It is definitely looking like piecemeal, homemade decor on a cheap fake tree. But, I adore it. And, it was seriously fun to work on it with my husband, with Christmas tunes in the background. Ah, Christmas. It's good.

8 comments:

Lisa Johnson said...

I love homemade crafty Christmas Trees! Those are the best! I think it's so great that your tree is made up of things you've collected, and things you love! It makes Christmas so much more meaningful! Even better that you got to put it together with your cute husband! I give the Wood Family an A+ in Christmas Spirit and Tree Decorating!

Karrissa Winward said...

I am very impressed! Looks great and so personalized!

Melissa Scott said...

wow...Aren't you a crafty thing. I am jealous.

Tara said...

Cute tree. I am impressed, and it sounds like you guys had a lot of fun.

Holly said...

How fun, Alexis. I am always so jealous of your cute Christmas trees. And, that is so cool that you've been enough places to have a global tree!

melis w-y said...

LOVE it! you guys are great.

jen said...

I love the tree but I cannot believe the following words came out of your mouth....They add color and flair, I think.

FLAIR??!

lex said...

Technically those words did not come out of my mouth. I would deny it in a court of law.