13 July 2008

a sunday sermon on divine intervention

I'll let you in on a bit of my (somewhat pathetic) pleading earlier this week. The wording has, of course, been paraphrased.

"...and thanks for this, and that, and gosh I'm so blessed and blah blah blah. Okay, so it's true. But really. Let's be honest with each other here. I feel stuck in a big fat rut today. This whole business of living on a different continent than my husband is wearing on me already. I KNOW! ALREADY! I feel silly complaining, when this situation is clearly something Shay and I, after careful deliberation, chose to bring upon ourselves. But I'll still admit that it stinks. I miss having my closest friend around all the time. There is so much empty space in this house. It's too quiet at night. I've had some great times this week, but there are these little moments of loneliness that just - ugh - they could drive me crazy. I don't want to go crazy. I bet you don't want me to go crazy. So I'm doing everything I can to handle this well. Any help you could offer me in climbing out of this rut would be greatly appreciated."

And this was my favorite voicemail of the week, which came that afternoon, from Jen (my friend of, oh, 15 years) and her husband Li. Again, I can only paraphrase:

"Hi! We're not living in Florida any more. Kind of unexpected. Long story. But we're driving to Philadelphia today and then heading to Utah for the rest of the the summer. Can we come stay with you on the way? I want to come see you."


Now, folks. I won't say that I summoned a miracle. And I won't say that having Jen close by for a little while made me any less bothered by the fact that Shay is far away and will still be far away for three more weeks. I'm just saying that I asked for some help mixing my life up a bit, lest I start to descend into a pit of despair, and I ended up getting an impromptu visit from one of my closest friends. It was just what I needed, and someone knew it. Those are just the facts. And I'm sticking to them.

11 comments:

Lisa Johnson said...

Totally amazing. Isn't it great how we are taken care of when we need it the most! I'm so glad you guys got to hang out and totally jealous that I can't come shake your life up a bit! I'd totally be there if I could! Love you, and I know that you will totally get through the next few weeks.

Min and Mary said...

Will you start praying for me? We'd like a house, a job for Min, no mental illnesses in the family, and a relationship with my older sister again. Thanks!

Heidi said...

loneliness stinks. So bravo on the summoning of miracles. Here's a funny for you. I was flying home from DC on Saturday and was reading a book about our next pres, Obama, and came upon a childhood anecdote of his, where, I am happy to tell you, he caught a fish by the name of humuhumunukunukuapuaa. I burst out laughing and thought of dear old Bullen 202 days. Good times! hope to see you soon! oh and you're welcome for the lack of capitalization... Love ya!

Amber said...

I'm glad you were blessed so quickly :) Stinks that I'm located at the end of the counrty where no one "passes through" :)
Anyway, I don't know if I can say anything that will make your life easier, but just know that I know how you feel (somewhat). Everyday that Jeff is home is a blessing and a relief. Last week Jeff was gone for five days and I was feeling really disconnected to him and I HATED that. But when he walks through the door and starts chatting with me, all the distance never seemed to happen and life is better than ever! So, keep hanging in there and I'll keep ya in my prayers!!
Take care :)
(I hope some of that made sense!)

Kirby and Tara Farnsworth said...

umm...welcome home sis... I'm just getting this blog thing figured out..sort of. I have a huge favor to ask, but I realized that your old email you had when you were 11 probably isn't used much anymore, and thought I'd have better luck with this one.
I could bore everyone that reads this with my little blurp, or if you'd be so kind as to email me: Kirby_farnsworth@yahoo.com, I could save all your zillion friends the hassle.
It has to do with medical school and kansas, but I'm not entirely sure all the details yet...

hope to hear from you soon- I get to check up on you which is nice, but I'm terrible at writing back, unless it's for my benefit of course!

Thanks
Kirby and Tara

Jenn said...

i'm so glad she could be there for you! you two just go together, I can't imagine one without the other, like in HS you were always together, I think that is a friendship that will last a lifetime. its so good to have great friends especailly in a time of need like this. I hope the time passes quickly for you

Heidi said...

Shay,

Hey cuz. How are you?!!!! It's been forever. I just found your blog. It would be fun to catch up. My address is matthewandheidi.blogspot.com
Talk to you soon.

Heidi Orton Barney

Tamarynn Leigh said...

Ok...so I love stories like that! That is awesome that Jen could stop by to see you. Sorry that Shay is on another continent. I love hearing about how he's your closest friend though...I know I'm a sap! Anyway, Kenneth said to tell you "hello". Good luck with the next three weeks. Wish I could help. I can keep leaving comments to say "hi"....:)

jen said...

um...so our car broke down and we got stuck in CO. we should have stayed longer with you.

Melissa Scott said...

i wish that it were me calling to say that we need to come and stay. Lucky Jen. xoxoxoxo

Natalie said...

Wow, you must have some strong prayer skills! I agree with Mary...will you start praying for me too? Seriously, that couldn't have come for a better time for you! Cory had scout camp and worked a bunch last week & Janalee came to visit with me for a few days. We had such a great time & it dulled my longing to be with my spouse. The girl time was definitely needed.