04 July 2008

oh, you shouldn't have

It sounds like there are going to be festivities and fireworks displays all over the U.S. today. To be honest, it's a little more fanfare than I expected to meet on my return to my home country, but uh... okay. I'll take it.

I am home from Slovenia and am mostly unpacked. What a great trip it was. A few things I am missing already:

*waking up in this lovely pastel-colored city:


*eating sour yogurt + crunchy muesli for breakfast - trust me, it's heavenly

*admiring the Alps

*seeing flower boxes in almost every window *counting the number of ice cream stands I pass on a given route (once I counted 13 on a ten-minute walk)

*eating dinner along the river, while people-watching and soaking up the cafe culture

*being able to walk nearly everywhere I need to go, and having easy public transportation for everything else

*spending most of the day, every day, with Shay

A few things I am especially appreciating today:

*my comfy bed

*friends close by and family more easily contacted

*not having smoke blown in my face everywhere I go

*not being barked at by ornery grocery store clerks, postal workers, restaurant employees, etc.

*frequently seeing random people smile, hold the door for each other, say thank you, and show other evidences of warmth and humanity

*having a shower curtain, and a shower head that attaches to the wall - poor Europe, have you still not gotten the memo about some of these advances?

*the flexibity that comes with having a car

*air conditioning as a given

*the quiet beauty of my own little neighborhood

*a happy, healthy, full life in a prosperous country that, despite its problems, is still my favorite place to be

10 comments:

jen said...

you're so cute

Heidi said...

i cannot believe you didn't add all the awesome mullets to your list of things you'd miss, but i'm sure now you'll have a special eye for them here in the U.S.

we're glad to have you back. we like you.

Amber said...

I'm glad that you got home safe- too bad you'll have to be apart from Shay. At first you'll watch all the chick-flicks and eat all the ice cream you can... but then it gets really old, really fast :) Glad that you guys had such an amazing time together :)

Jenn said...

Do you care if I put a link to your blog on my blog? it makes for easier checking of others blogs. anyway we are up north, but still in the same state. it looks like you had a great trip, I hope the time passes quickly with out shay.

Holly said...

Welcome home! Sounds like you had a blast. It looks so pretty over there.

lex said...

Jenn, I don't mind at all.

Tamarynn Leigh said...

Glad you are back...sorry you are separated from Shay, though. That's always rough. Good luck!

It sounds like fun and looks so pretty. I'll have to add Slovenia to my wishlist of places to visit!

jen said...

Li and I say hi from PA.

Melissa Scott said...

I want to visit.... that place looks amazing and hello, 13 ice cream stops in a 10 minute walk. Wow:)

jen said...

we'll see you in about 13 hours! Um...maybe 14 or 15. You know me, I'll probably have to stop to go to the bathroom.