02 October 2007

visions of tex-mex danced in their heads

A new low point: I actually had a dream about the green chile chicken salad at Bajio. You know how you have dreams sometimes that are so nice, that you can't help being a little disappointed when you wake up and realize you were dreaming? The Bajio dream was right up there with that one where I win the lottery without buying a lottery ticket and then I spend the next year traveling around the world in a hot air balloon. It was a good dream. Then it ended.

It has been a full two months since I last saw a Cafe Rio, a Costa Vida, a Bajio, or any decent tex-mex establishment, and apparently the withdrawl symptoms are setting in. Is there a cure for this? Does anyone know?

3 comments:

J&J Binghameez said...

Yes there is! I just had the mothers lunch today and we had the cafe-rio burritos: Here is the recipe try it out:

The DRESSING: 1 ranch dressing packet (make like the pkg. says), 2 Tomatillos (green tomato like vegetable with a husk around them), 1/2 bunch cilantro, 1 clove garlic, juice of a half of lime. Blend all in food processor/blender and refrigerate. I also like to add 1 cup of sour cream to soften the taste.

THE CHICKEN: 1 bottle Kraft zesty Italian dressing, 1 T. Chili powder, 1 T. cum mun powder, 3 cloves garlic, 5 lbs. chicken breast. Cook all together in crockpot and shred.

RICE: 3 C. water, 4 t. chicken bouillon, 4 t. garlic, 1/2 bunch cilantro, 1 can green chilie, 3/4 t. salt, 1 T. Butter, 1/2 onion, 3 c. Rice. ( I used minute rice and just added everything in when I put the rice in and then put the lid on and let stand.)

Okay, its really good. Then I bought black beans and fresh tortillas. Also I like to smother the top with green enchilada sauce and sprinkle with cheese and melt it. Try it out! It's not exact but it sure satisfy' s the craving.

lex said...

Jamie, you are great!! I've tried a couple recipes for the tomatillo dressing, but dang, I long for the whole delicious package. I'll have to give this a try. I feel a Cafe Rio Wannabe Salad coming soon... thanks!

TPlayer said...

Ok it's official. Were taking you and Shay to have a Kansas City food experience. What a shame you are craving such things (although i admit i am a huge fan of the cafe rio pork salad and bajio lime rice) but there are many things to appreciate out here. we will begin the conversion process now, so you will have plenty of time to "pray about it all"...La Mesa, Cinzetti's, Oklahoma Joe's BBQ, the options are endless... here we come!