03 October 2007

going clubbing



I love the idea of book clubs. I was hoping to join one when we moved to Lawrence, and a couple of weeks after we settled in, the wife of one of Shay's professors invited me to join her group. Score. I joined. I read. I said about ten words the first time we met. Maybe eleven if you count the "thanks" I uttered to the host when she handed me my dessert. I am so funny sometimes, in new situations and around unfamiliar people. But I think I'll get a little more comfortable and participative as time goes on. I had better pipe up soon, I suppose, or they are going to catch on about my being there for the food.

So far we've read and discussed "Their Eyes" and "Life Studies," and this month we're reading "Nightfall." None of these are books I would have picked myself, and I guess that's the beauty of a book club, isn't it?

A bunch of my good friends from the homeland are also starting a long-distance book club, which I am excited about. We're starting out with "The Great Divorce" and we'll see where it goes from there. I think it'll be a fun way to keep in touch.

So, I've got a bunch of reading to do. If you have must-read recommendations for future book club selections, post them here!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's probably a little trendy but I thought "A Thousand Splendid Suns" was terrific.

Tara said...

Lex- Did you like the other three books? Are they worth reading?

lex said...

Tara (and Colter and Ayla, since they asked too), I really like "Their Eyes Were Watching God." It would be worth picking up. "Life Studies" is a collection of short stories so a little harder to get caught up in, but interesting.... I'll have to get back to you on the third. Haven't started it yet. I bet you and Ayla get a bunch of reading done these days!

Robin said...

Hey-I'm Cat's sister, I stayed with you that one time in St. George?

Anyway, I just started a blog for my book club, and it has lists from past years - if you ever need ideas.
http://girlswhocanread.blogspot.com

I like your blog, btw :)

Holly said...

Could you read People Magazine and Reader's Digest in your book club? THEN I could totally join!! Ha ha :o)

Melissa Scott said...

I like that you refer Hurricane to "the homeland." I haven't been on the computer in a while, but i am loving the 8 interesting facts...
For anyone that cares, i usually just read James Patterson and i just read "the quickie." Nice name, huh? It wasn't his best, but i liked it. I am excited to get out of my element and read the whole divorce book thing.. i sure do miss ya, lex.