20 August 2007

on the subject of life

So here's a good story. Shay and I were sitting in the living room; Shay was reading a book, and I was snacking on some cereal and pondering the eternities. Once when Shay glanced up from his book, I looked at him and said, “You know, I don’t really like this life.” He looked a little alarmed. He stammered for a minute, and then said “uh… you don’t?”

I continued chomping casually on my cereal, confused at his reaction, and said, “No, the chocolate clusters taste weird.” He took a minute to mull over my comment, which initially seemed unconnected to my out-of-the-blue confession that I am unhappy with life in general. Then it all came together. And we laughed. A lot.

Here’s a tip: don’t buy the new Chocolate Oat Cruch Life Cereal. It has the potential to create confusion. And chances are you won’t like it anyway.


3 comments:

Tara said...

I seriously laughed out loud the whole time that I was reading this blog. That is really funny.

melis w-y said...

We all got a good laugh out of this story as well--that's hilarious!! (Natalie and her bf are visiting right now) melis burton

jen said...

I've told a million people this story and every time I laugh my head off. Thanks for giving me a story to share....the one about the smushed muffin and the capri sun with no straw is starting to get old.