13 February 2009

summing up love

A couple of years ago Smith magazine asked people to sum up their life story in six words, and submit their "six-word memoirs" for publication. The resulting collection, Not Quite What I Was Planning, was a fun read-in-the-bathroom sort of book, not that I read while I'm in the bathroom, because I don't, except for sometimes the newspaper. Anyhow. There were some good submissions, for instance:

"We were our own Springer episode."

"Never really finished anything, except cake."

"Near-death experiences are my forte."

Then the other day I heard on a radio show that Smith has published a new collection this year, called Six-Word Memoirs on Love and Heartbreak. They read several excerpts from the book, and then had people call in to give their own shot at condensing their love story into a six-word sound byte. Some of my favorites:

"He sees the me I don't."

"Loved him. He died. Love didn't."

"Love makes calculus seem like cake."

"Young love, then kids. Thanks, God!"

"I groom for her, no others."

"Surprise! It gets better with age."

"Our prison visitations were surprisingly romantic."

"He loves me anyway. Go figure."

So folks, it's almost Valentine's Day. Let's celebrate. Can you sum up your love story or your thoughts on love, in exactly six words?

My shot:

12 comments:

lex said...

This was Shay's -

Followed mom's advice and married up.

(Actually he made up about a million. For some reason I liked this one best. It sure beats "We eat cereal together. True love.")

Anonymous said...

I don't have one. Sad. I think if I did, "I let him drive my car!" would be a good one. That's generally a good sign for me.

TPlayer said...

How the Player got played...again

Heidi said...

My fam actually did this over Christmas break. We came up with several, but here's my own personal favorite:

love to laugh, all the time.

I'll get back to you on the love story later...:)

Danny said...

(many of these are snap-shots from our dating months)

"I love you," I said confidently.

Inter-digitation at temple. First time.

(the first time we held hands was walking out of the St. George temple.)

Bishopric lobbied for wedding. I proposed.

"He drives too slow," she thought.

Question - "Want to take marriage prep?"

She taught Sunday-school lesson. Wow!

"I don't see where this ends."

Thanksgiving trip. Mono. Kissless for months.

Hometeaching companion asked her out. Grrr.

"Oh, a cute young returned missionary!"

Other guys. No competition. I won.

"You're a goner," said my friend.

Scripture reading at Joe's = golden opportunity.

DTR - she said maybe. DTR2 - success!

First date at opera. Why atonal?

She ate Thai. I went broke.

Gave flowers. I must be smitten.

Asked sister for phone number. Rejected.

"Would you like juice?" I said.

Excuse to see her - measuring tape.

"You can keep my car key."

Mud masks. It was for her.

Finding Nemo. She jumped. Media compatibility.

Valentine's day - I love you. Whoa!

His dad folded laundry. Good influence!

She sang in choir. Me too!

Halloween dance. Slipped out with her.

Spenny and Nellie Morris said...

Just keeps getting better every day

Crystal said...

He brightens my blackest of skies.

(Thank you Johnny Cash & his Rose of my Heart :)

Lisa Johnson said...

No One Gets Us, But Us.

It's weird, but we just work.

For everyone who has said, or thought "I would never put those two together". It's true, but if you all saw us the way we are when we're alone.

We're Like Peanut Butter and Chocolate.

Spitfire said...

Will we date forever, and ever?

Kim said...

Guess "Hot Dave" liked me back.

Breona said...

Heart be still. It's no dream.

JO said...

Alexis,
I was glad to see you found my blog. I will be sure to add you to my list of blogging friends. We are doing well in Canada. This winter has been pretty awful, much worse than I remember last years. What are you doing? You are probably doing a fantastic job as an SLP! Did you know I have always envied you? You are such a smart girl and seem to have so much going for you. Well, hope to hear from you. Jo