03 February 2009

it's still just once a year, right?

This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype. Well, it used to mean something in this town. They used to pull the hog out, and they used to eat it. You're hypocrites, all of you! You have a problem with what I'm saying, Larry? (from Groundhog Day)
I watch it every year. Yes, every year. And while half of me finds it annoyingly stupid when watched with such frequency, the other half of me still appreciates its charming message about turning your worst day into your best day, by looking beyond yourself. It's tradition, anyhow.

These creepy-but-cute creations

are another February 2nd favorite. We made a lot of them this year. You've got to spread the Groundhog Day love, you know?

(Do you want to make them too? I know you do. They aren't that hard to replicate. But if you want, you can click here to be enlightened with more detail.)

8 comments:

Holly said...

I totally thought of you all day because I knew it was your favorite holiday :-)

jen said...

Oh man for a second there, when I caught a glimpse of this post in google reader, I thought you were saying that the people at Gobbler's Knob were pitiful. I almost cried.

Anonymous said...

It's your favorite holiday? Did I know that? It strikes me as familiar but then again, Groundhog Day is a lot of people's favorite... so it could have been anyone. Um, nice little groundhog treat things. I really want to scarf down something with a face. So much. :)

Catlin said...

I thought of you guys because I rented "Groundhog Day" from the library, but we didn't watch it. Sad.

Danny said...

Stanley Fish, writing for the NYTimes, says that Groundhog day is one of the 10 best American films of all time:

http://fish.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/the-10-best-american-movies/

There you have it.

Anonymous said...

The Groundhog cupcakes were delicious. Thank you for sharing your love of the holiday with us. You are dear friends.

Sincerely,

The Bakers

Spitfire said...

Molli said: It's a lot of people's favorite holiday" . . . like who??

I thought of you on groundhog's day whilst sitting in a very boring conference. People started talking about how "today was the day" and wondered whether that hog saw his shadow or not. So I told them about you and your party throwing movie watching habits every year. They thought it was a great tradition, as do I. Except where were you with those cupcake creations 5 years ago?? They look so yummy! Also, groundhog's day really is a good movie.

Heidi said...

As with everyone else, I thought of you on February 2nd, but I didn't celebrate with near the enthuasiasm I did when we were roommates. I always thought I would adopt your Groundhog Day love, but I have yet to... Anyway, I second Meg's comment on why in the world did the holiday treats wait until we were miles from the opportunity to eat them? Also, randomly, I was on my way somewhere this morning and was listening to "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" I never remember to turn it on when I am just hanging out inside, but it was fun to finally hear the whole show while I was driving. And, while listening I thought of you. I was seriously laughing so hard. I am a nerd, but I think we're still friends, right? Happy Groundhog's Day!