21 October 2008

going out on a limb


I've neglected the blog world for a couple of weeks. Now, finally, I emerge from my blogging silence to cover this important topic: turkey legs. At every city festival and local fair there is aways some group of upstanding citizens selling smoked turkey legs. They are gigantic and meaty and they actually look yummy in a sort of medieval way. Unfortunately they are usually being sold in close proximity to the funnel cake booth, and if I have five dollars in my pocket at one of these shindigs, we all know it will end up in the hands of the funnel cake people.

This weekend at the Maple Leaf Festival in Baldwin, I had more than five dollars in my pocket, a rarity that needed to be celebrated. I decided to give the highly-recommended turkey legs a try. And I have this to say about them: the first few bites are delicious. But if you have ever spent time in a cadaver lab, you should probably stop after those first few bites. It does not take long for a partially-eaten turkey leg to start to resemble parts of Mrs. Raymond, the 60-something woman who graciously donated her body to the anatomy lab of your university.

And you will wish you had just ordered two funnel cakes instead.

9 comments:

jen said...

you disgust me

Lisa Johnson said...

Definitely go for the two funnel cakes.

Heidi said...

hah. we also were at the festival this weekend and turkey legs were partaken... i just had a few bites of my mom's, but i definitely know what you mean! it's a great festival though.

Tamarynn Leigh said...

I'm trying to block the mental images coming to mind. However, I love the picture of the leaves you posted...very pretty!

Holly said...

Eeew, eew, eew. I can't BELIEVE you bought one of those! I thought I knew you better :-). Every time we go to Disneyland, Chase threatens to buy one - until he sees me turn green at the thought.

Crystal said...

I don't understand the turkey legs they sell at festivals...even HUGE Thanksgiving-sized turkeys seem to have big, but reasonably sized legs. Where do they get the turkeys who's legs are sold at the carnival?

Heidi said...

Mrs. Raymond? Turkey Legs? The two are not happily connected. ick. Note to self: do not eat turkey legs. But, funnel cakes always remind me of you (and now cadavirs and giant bird legs will as well...). Special, isn't it? :) As always, love your blog!

Amber said...

I'm with Leese on this one! Funnel cakes ROCK :)

Natalie said...

You crack me up! For reasons you mentioned, I have a thing with eating meat with bones...I feel guilty...weird, I know.