12 September 2007

ode to in-between


This is one of my favorite times of the year, this stretch where summer blends into autumn. The air is cooler but the days are still, for the most part, magnificently sunny. Sweater weather! I am mostly excited about sweater weather because I have been running out of summer clothes since, I don’t know, June.

My drive home from work looks like a calendar picture – the corn fields and wheat fields that constitute approximately 96.7% of Kansas are a warm golden color, and there are these huge bales of hay waiting in fields next to farm houses. The leaves on the trees look like they’re just itching to turn crazy colors and strew themselves all over the ground. There are lots of trees here. And lots of leaves. It’s going to be great.


Also, since the temperature started dropping, I rarely hear the relentless and obnoxious serenade of the cicadas anymore. Maybe their screeching season ends with Labor Day? Not sure, since the cicada song is sort of a new phenomenon for me. Let’s hope.


Luckily the fireflies are still hanging out in my neighborhood and are still putting on a great show after the sun goes down.


I have a feeling autumn is going to be great. But no hurry – the in-between time is even better.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

kind of deep for a blogger, don't you think? just kidding, i kinda feel the same way... about right now where you can feel fall coming... it's almost better than fall actually being here!

Melissa Scott said...

agreed... I was just thinking as i was reading your new post if you had any employees, neighbors, or friends there in Kansas actually named Dorothy?
While it is still 100 degrees here, it for some reason feels so nice.. sad news, we caught a beaver in the river you know, now we have to get rid of it.. becauase surprisingly (not) it is cutting down our beatiful trees with their almost colorful leaves. can't have it...

Amber said...

You guys are looking great! And I must agree about this lovely time of in-betweeny season stuff! Take care!

Tara said...

Sounds like Kansas isn't too bad. I hope you guys love it there. It's still pretty hot here, but I think that we'll be getting that nice in-between stage soon too.